Vegan Pesto Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes Recipe
Easy, flavour-packed lunch
Ideal as a light lunch or side dish, this pesto pasta recipe is creamy and packed with authentic Italian flavours. The rocket and lemon add a fresh and tangy touch, and the sun-dried tomatoes in oil add key Mediterranean spices and a silky finish. Feel free to mix up the pasta as needed - small shapes like fusilli or penne are easy to work with, and spaghetti or fettuccine are great for fancier presentation.
If you prefer batch cooking or meal prepping for the week, this recipe is a great option. Simply divide into portions and keep in the fridge in air-tight containers for up to 3 days - and there’s no need to reheat as this dish be enjoyed cold.
Bio Gustiamo Organic Sun-dried Tomatoes
A secret ingredient in this recipe is the Bio Gustiamo Organic Sun-dried tomatoes. They are made in Puglia, Italy and sourced locally by Real Italiano. They are organic and seasoned with spices and capers, bringing an authentic taste of the Mediterranean to home-cooked meals. The oil preservation means that they are packed with flavour and offer a great way to add moisture and a silky texture to the pasta.
Quick tip: you can use the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes to fry your garlic and vegetables in this recipe, adding an extra level of flavour.
Puro Vegan Pesto
The vegan and gluten-free pesto from Puro is made with tofu and some the world’s most valuable basil, Genovese PDO basil. Ideal for pasta sauces or as a sandwich, canapé or pizza spread, the versatile Puro Vegan pesto has a sweet, tender taste, giving this dish a full, fresh burst of flavour.
1 tbsp Familia Suarez Diced Garlic
190g Bio Gustiamo Organic Sun-dried Tomatoes in Oil, chopped
4 tbsp Puro Vegan Genovese PDO Basil Pesto made with Tofu (plus extra to serve)
1 tbsp olive oil (from the sun-dried tomatoes)
30g rocket (or other leafy greens such as spinach, kale or watercress)
A few handfuls of pine nuts, chopped
125g frozen peas
1. Fill 3/4 of a large saucepan with water. Salt generously and bring to a boil.
2. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions – be sure not to overcook. Just before the pasta is ready, add the frozen peas and cook for a couple of minutes. Drain the pasta and peas and set aside.
3. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. Fry for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant but not browned.
4. Turn the heat off. Add the cooked pasta and peas to the frying pan and toss everything around to coat evenly in the oil, garlic, and tomatoes.
5. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add 3/4 of the pesto, rocket, a squeeze of lemon and season to taste. Toss to combine.
6. Serve warm with a bit of pesto on the side and garnish generously with pine nuts and extra rocket.