Pesto Parmesan Pastry Straws Recipe
Servings: makes 16 straws
A simple showstopper
These 5-ingredient pesto parmesan pastry straws are perfect as a snack, starter, or conversation piece. Whether you’re hosting Christmas, having friends over for a summer garden party, or simply want to add a tasty side to your dinner this evening, these pastry straws are a safe bet.
Hassle and stress-free recipe
Opting for shop-bought puff pastry is a huge time-saver and means less hassle and stress in the kitchen, leaving you to focus on the good stuff. Feel free to experiment with pesto flavours for those with different tastes – classic green or red is perfect for kids, or you could try truffle pesto for those who may want something richer and more elegant.
A little bit about our pesto
The Monti Red Pesto available from Real Italiano is prepared with Italian basil, sunflower oil and top quality dried tomatoes. The use of dried tomatoes gives it a strong red colour, making this pesto perfect for seasoning pasta, gnocchi or to spread on toast or pastry.
The Monti Genovese Pesto is prepared exclusively with Italian basil (36%). Its delicate scent of basil is combined with a decisive note of pecorino, a cheese of excellence in the panorama of Italian cuisine. These ingredients blend together to create a full-bodied consistency, making it a perfect condiment or a spreadable sauce.
Make the recipe vegan or gluten-free
For anyone with dietary requirements, adapt this recipe easily by swapping regular puff pastry, pesto and cheese for vegan, gluten-free or other alternatives.
1 sheet puff pastry
2 tbsp Monti Red Pesto
2 tbsp Monti Genovese Pesto
Handful grated parmesan (plus extra to garnish)
Sprinkle of fresh parsley, chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Unroll the puff pastry sheet and cut into 4 even rectangles.
3. Spread the green pesto onto one rectangle, and the red pesto onto another, leaving 2 rectangles empty.
4. Grate a handful of parmesan and sprinkle across the 2 pesto layers, then cover with the remaining 2 puff pastry rectangles and press down to seal.
5. Cut each rectangle into 4 long strips, then cut the strips in half. Twist each strip and place on the baking trays.
Quick tip: Don’t overthink the twist. Puff pastry is easy to work with so there’s no need to be neat.
6. Place the straws in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden.
7. Once ready, remove from the oven and arrange the straws roughly on a wooden serving board and garnish with grated parmesan and chopped parsley.
Quick tip: there is no need to be neat again as the idea is to go for a rustic presentation.
One of our Real Italiano chefs shows how to put these pesto parmesan pastry straws together in no time in the video below. Have a go and let us know what you think!